"Oral motor therapy works on the oral skills necessary for proper speech and feeding development. These skills include: awareness, strength, coordination, movement, and endurance of the lips, cheeks, tongue, and jaw." Debra C. Lowsky, MS, CCC-SLP
Most often qualified therapists, often combine various other therapeutic techniques to enhance oral-motor, feeding and expressive language skills.
Here are some tools that help increase oral awareness that you could use at home or with the help of your regular therapists.
1 - ARK's Basic Bear Bottle Kit (Click HERE to purchase)
- Teach straw drinking - skip sippy cups altogether!The Bear Bottle is a fun and friendly way to make drinking easier for beginners and/or children with oral motor difficulties. It's also an excellent way to transition babies straight from bottles to straw drinking - skipping sippy cups altogether! Most sippy cups promote improper tongue and lip positioning that can cause speech problems later on.
2 - ARK's Brick Stick Textured Chew Necklace (Click HERE to purchase)
- STYLISH & DISCREET CHEW TOOL - Chewing is a common way to calm, focus, and self-regulate (especially for individuals who have sensory needs and/or Autism). ARK's Brick StickTM is a way to safely meet that need to chew. The cool design is perfect for both boys and girls, kids and adults. It looks just like a regular necklace for the utmost discretion. Use it as a safe alternative to chewing on one's hands, nails, pencils, shirts, etc. Recommended for ages 5 years and up.
3 - ARK's Oral Motor Starter Kit with Z-Vibe and Chewies (Click HERE to purchase)
- A starter set of the most popular feeding and oral motor therapy staples
- 4 different tips with various textures for tactile stimulation, and 2 chew tools of different resiliencies (one soft and one extra tough)
4 - ARK's Z-Vibe Oral Stimulator for Speech & Feeding (Click HERE to purchase)
- Smooth, gentle vibration helps "wake up" the mouth and increase oral awareness
- Textured Probe Tip provides tactile input to help decrease food aversions and normalize sensitivities
- Sleek, lightweight, textured handle,
- Specially designed to provide targeted tactile cues and sensory stimulation within and around the oral cavity
- Highly recommended for individuals with speech, feeding, and/or sensory integration issues
5 - ARK's Z-Vibe Sensory Oral Motor Kit (Click HERE to purchase)
- Everything you need in one easy-to-manage kit. Tips & Z-Vibe can be easily stored in the travel box
- Kit includes: 1 Royal Blue Z-Vibe, 1 Tips & Techniques for the Z-Vibe Exercise Book, 1 Probe Tip, 1 Preefer Tip, 1 Mini Tip, 1 Hard Fine Tip, 1 Hard Spoon Tip, 1 Soft Spoon Tip, 1 Hard Brush Tip, 1 Soft Brush Tip, 1 Bite-n-Chew Tip, and 1 Textured Bite-n-Chew Tip XL
- Book contains tips, techniques, exercises, & strategies on how to use the Z-Vibe for feeding, oral motor, sensory input, and more
6 - Flexi Nosey Cut-Out Cup (Click HERE to purchase)
- The Flexi Cup's innovative design allows individuals to drink without tilting their head back. The cut out for the nose also makes it easier to view lip and tongue movement in feeding therapy. Because it's flexible, it can be squeezed to control and direct the flow of fluid. Often useful for those with severe drinking problems or beginner cup drinkers.